Dr. Alan McCord
Associate Provost, Dean of Graduate Studies,Lawrence Technological University
College Professor, Management
Phone (248) 204-2411
Faculty Web Site
Dr. Alan McCord has served as associate provost and dean of graduate studies since 2010. He joined Lawrence Tech in 2003 as a professor of management and the academic director of information technology programs and operations. In 2006, he became the executive director for the University's online initiatives, whcih were expanded into the new e-learning Services department in 2009.
Prior to coming to LTU, he served as senior director for planning and coordination for the Information Technology Central Services (ITCS) organization at the University of Michigan. ITCS provides computing, Web, data, and telephone services to the three University of Michigan campuses with a staff of 300 and an annual operating budget of over $75M. He also served U-M as associate university chief information officer and director of operations management for the Information Technology Division.
Before coming to the University of Michigan, McCord served as executive director of university computing at Eastern Michigan University from 1991-98, and also held administrative positions at Wayne State University and Oakland Community College. He has consulted for several private sector businesses and higher education institutions, is the author of book chapters IT infrastructure, IT outsourcing, and virtual work environments.
Areas of Expertise
IT strategic planning, organization, and governance
IT outsourcing and service design
Digital asset management
Emerging technologies and technology adoption
Virtual work technologies
Pervasive and community wireless initiatives
Online learning and instructional design
Ph.D., Instructional Technology, Wayne State University, 1985
M.Ed., Instructional Technology, Wayne State University, 1977
B.S., Natural Resources, University of Michigan, 1972
Board of Directors, Ann Arbor IT Zone
E-Government Enhanced Access Board, Washtenaw County
Career and Technical Education Advisory Committee, Ann Arbor Public Schools
University of Michigan Band Alumni Association
Recent Publications and Presentations
- 2007 With M. Boone, "Technologies and Services in Support of Virtual Workplaces," accepted for publication in "Handbook of Research on Virtual Workplaces and the New Nature of Business Practices," P. Zemliansky and K. St. Amnt (eds).
- 2007 "Staffing and Supporting a New Online Initiative," Innovate Magazine.
- 2006 "Using Synchronous Tools to Support Asynchronous courses," Educational Teleconsortium of Michigan.
- 2006 With D. Cairns, "Integrating Assessment into the Design of Online Programs and Courses," Michigan Blackboard User Group Conference.
- 2006 With E. Grekowica and J. Kowalski, "Preparing Instructors and Students to Go Online," Michigan Blackboard User Group Conference.
- 2007 With L. Steenkamp, "Approach to Teaching Research Methodology for Information Technology," accepted for publication in the Journal of Information Systems Education.
- 2006 With K. Kakish, "The Value of a Project-Based Approach to e-Commerce for the MBA," ISECON 2006 Meritorious Paper award.
- 2006 "Staffing and Supporting a New Online Initiative," IACBE Region 4 Meeting.
- 2006 "Community Wireless Networking and New Opportunities," North Central Michigan College Luncheon Lecture Series.
- 2005 With W. Wachob, "Applying the IT Service CMM Model in a University Service Delivery Environment," EDUCAUSE 2005 conference.
- 2005 With P. Castelli, L. Majewski, and J. Stavros, "Time Compressed Hybrid Learning," IACBE National Conference.
- 2004 "Implementing a Digital Asset Management Initiative On Your Campus," EDUCAUSE 2004 National Conference.
- 2003 "Institutional Repositories: Enhancing Teaching, Learning, and Research," EDUCAUSE 2003 National Conference.
- 2003 “Sourcing IT Services,” in P. McClure (ed), EDUCAUSE Leadership Strategies Series, Volume 7 – Managing Information Resources, EDUCAUSE.
- 2003 With D. Hague, “Architectures: From Video Storage to Campus Rich Media Services,” SURA/ViDe Digital Video Workshop.
- 2002 “New Developments for Access and Content Management,” Evolving Technologies Committee, EDUCAUSE 2002 National Conference.
- 2002 “Bandwidth Management Roundtable,” EDUCAUSE 2002 National Conference
- 2002 With M. Boone, “Sourcing Campus ICT Services,” Society for College and University Planning Annual Conference
- 2002 “Are You Ready to Discuss IT Outsourcing On Your Campus?” EDUCAUSE Quarterly, Volume 25, number 1, 2002.
- 2002 With J. Griffiths, “The Art and Science of IT Infrastructure,” in Technology Enhanced Learning: Opportunities for Change, P. Goodman (ed), Laurence Erlbaum Press.
- 2001 “Bandwidth Management Roundtable,” EDUCAUSE 2001 National Conference
- 2001 “Beyond the Hype: How Systems Implementation Really Works (and how it doesn’t),” College and University Personnel Association National Conference.
- 2000 With G. Thiele, “Campus-Wide Planning for Business Continuity and Emergency Operations,” EDUCAUSE 2000 National Conference.
- 2000 “Outsourcing Roundtable,” EDUCAUSE 2000 National Conference.
Doctoral Dissertations Supervised
Allour, K.: The Relationship Between a Critical Success Factors: Maturity Model and User Satisfaction in ERP Implementation Projects (Sponsor DTE Energy)
Altimimi, A.: Identification of Key Issues Supporting High-Quality Information Technology Outsourcing Decisions in Higher Education
Basal, A.: Web Application Topology mapping through Ontology and Discovery (Sponsor Daimler Chrysler)
Lyons, T.: The Impact Of Outsourcing On Surviving Employees' Morale And Productivity (Sponsor Daimler Chrysler)
Makar, A.: Preconditions for Effective Deployment of Earned Value Management for Information Technology Projects (Sponsor GMAC)
Rajabion, L.: Impact of Government Sponsored IT Initiatives in Rural Areas
Turner, T.: Antipatterns in Enterprise Architecture Modeling (Sponsor Volkswagen AG)
Wachob, W.: Funding Technology Refreshment in the Private College Setting (Sponsor LTU)