Dr. Anne Kohnke
Assistant Professor of IT
Buell Management Building M320
Anne Kohnke is an Assistant Professor of IT and teaches courses in both the Information Technology and Management disciplines at the bachelor, master, and doctorate levels. Anne started at Lawrence Technological University (LTU) as an Adjunct Professor in 2002 and joined the faculty full-time in 2011.
Prior to joining LTU, Dr. Kohnke worked in industry for 25 years where she focused in information technology and management. Her IT career started in the mid-1980’s on a help desk, and over the years Anne developed technical proficiency as a database administrator, network administrator, and systems analyst. After a decade, Anne was promoted to management and worked as a project manager, IT Director, and Vice President of IT and Chief Information Security Officer. Dr. Kohnke brings her industry experiences into the classroom and designs experiential learning assignments for students around real-world work scenarios to help build skill sets and knowledge that employers want. Emphasis is placed on critical thinking, excellent oral and written communication, and strategic thinking.
Dr. Kohnke's research interests focus on cybersecurity, risk management, extraterritorial surveillance and privacy, and IT governance. Dr. Kohnke has recently coauthored two books in this field of study: Cybersecurity: A Guide to the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE) Framework 2.0 and The Complete Guide to Cybersecurity Risks and Controls published by CRC Press.
Ph.D., 2005, Benedictine University, Organization Development
Dissertation: The Social Construction of Ethical Leadership
M.B.A., 2002, Lawrence Technological University
- Cybersecurity, extraterritorial surveillance and privacy
- Security risk management and IT governance
- Ethical hacking and computer forensics
- Virtual teams and collaborative technologies
- Adoption and implementation of technology by organizations and individuals
MGT8093, Organizational Behavior
INT7223, Enterprise IT Security
INT7463, Virtual Work Environments
INT7253, Business Process Modeling (Object Oriented Modeling using UML)
INT7243, Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity
INT6123, Systems Analysis & Design (Object oriented)
INT6043, Enterprise Information Technology
MGT6163, Business for IT Professionals
MGT6233, Business Strategies for eCommerce
MGT6063, Strategic Management
GLM6033, Global Organization Development & Change Management
HRM6033, Leading Organization Change
MGT6013, Leadership and Management
HTM5013, Health IT Informatics
INT4303, IT Business Strategy (BSIT Capstone)
HRM3042, OD and Macro Change Theory
MGT1213, Introduction to Business
Honors and Awards
- 2015, Selected to receive the Henry and Barbara Horldt Excellence in Teaching Award presented to a faculty member who has distinguished himself or herself in the classroom as an outstanding teacher.
- 2011, Faculty Seed Grant, $3,000.00. An Application of the UTAUT Model for Understanding End-user Perceptions of a Telemedicine Device (in Collaboration with Henry Ford Home Care).
- 2013, Junior League of Detroit President’s Award & Volunteer Extraordinaire. The President’s Award is awarded to the member who has made significant contributions that demonstrate extraordinary dedication to the Junior League. My community service as the webmaster and photographer involved upgrading the website to a new platform to include a public-facing site as well as a private member management site that includes message boards, document management, shift sign-up and notifications, and an event tracking system. www.jldetroit.org
- 2003, Co-winner of the Jack Gibb Award for best presentation. Tendercare, Inc., A Case Study Using Appreciative Inquiry. 33rd Annual Information Exchange Conference Organization Development Institute.
Dissertation Committee Work
Elliott, N. (2015). An Exploration of the Influence of Key Attributes on the Acceptance of Social Media at a Private Midwestern University in the United States.
Mitchell, S. (2014). An Exploratory Study of Priority Based Budgeting: Identification of Public Values and Public Priorities through Citizen Engagement in Government Budgeting Decisions.
Storey, G. (2014-2015). Smartphones and Employee Performance.
Dissertation Committee Member
Heinsohn, D. (2012). Spirituality in the Workplace: An Empirical Analysis of the Moderator Effect of Demographics on the Relationship Among Spirituality, Attitudes, and Behavior at Work. DBA Program
Baradihi, F. (2012). An Exploratory Case Study on the Influence of Sustainability on Employee Engagement. DBA Program
Kuehn, L. (Expected defense: Spring 2017). An Exploration of Appreciative Inquiry's Potential to Increase the Influence of Analytics on Strategic Decision Making. (working title). DBA Program
Research and Scholarship
Kohnke, A., Shoemaker, D., & Sigler, K. (2016). The Complete Guide to Cybersecurity Risk and Controls. London: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.
Shoemaker, D., Kohnke, A., & Sigler, K. (2016). Cybersecurity: A Guide to the National Initiative for Cybersecurity Education (NICE) Framework 2.0. London: CRC Press, Taylor & Francis Group.
Kohnke, A. & Shoemaker, D. (2015). Making Cybersecurity Effective: The Five Governing Principles for Implementing Practical IT Governance and Control. EDP Audit, Control, and Security 52(03), 9-17.
Shoemaker, D. & Kohnke, A. (2015). Cyberscience or Cybersystem: Can You Be Secure When You're Not Secure?. CyberTalk, Issue 7, 54-56.
Shoemaker, D. & Kohnke, A. (2015). Seeing the Entire Elephant: Or, You're Not Secure if You're Not Secure. U.S. Cybersecurity, 3(6), 67-69.
Kohnke, A., Cole, M. L., & Bush, R. G. (2014) Incorporating UTAUT Predictors for Understanding Home Care Patient’s and Clinician’s Acceptance of Healthcare Telemedicine Equipment: The Moderating Effect of Self-Efficacy, Anxiety, and Attitude. Journal of Technology Management & Innovation, 9(2), 29-41.
Gonda, T. & Kohnke, A. (2013). Creating a Collaborative Virtual Command Center Among Four Separate Organizations in the United States Army: An Exploratory Case Study. Organization Development Journal, 31(4), 75-92.
Kohnke, A. & Kruppa, R. (2005). Group Dynamics and the Formation of a PhD Cohort. Organization Development Journal, 23(1), 69-80.
Kohnke, A. (2005). Software Application Development: Learning in Action. Organization Development Practitioner, 37(1), 3-7.
Kohnke, A. (2003). Tendercare, Inc., A Case Study Using Appreciative Inquiry. Organization Development Journal, 21(4), 81-86.
Shoemaker, D. & Kohnke, A. (2015). Cybersecurity and Information Technology. In Protecting Our Future: Educating a Cyber Security Workforce V2. Hudson Whitman/Excelsior College Press.
Kohnke, A. (2008). Social Ethics. In Robert W. Kolb (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Business Ethics and Society. (pp. 1968-1971). Los Angeles, CA: Sage
Kohnke, A. (2008). Volunteerism. In Robert W. Kolb (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Business Ethics and Society. (pp. 2198-2220). Los Angeles, CA: Sage
Conference Presentations and Proceedings
Kohnke, A. & Shoemaker, D. (Accepted). Mapping Cybersecurity Frameworks for a Comprehensive Unified Framework for IT Governance. 11th International Conference on Cyber Warfare and Security, Boston, MA.
Kohnke, A. (2015, June). Organization Security Controls for Effective Cyber Defense. Proceedings and paper presented at The Colloquium for Information Systems Security Education, Las Vegas, NV.
Kohnke, A., Stavros, J., Schiller, M. (2015, January). Towards an Understanding of the Practices of an Appreciative Leader. Paper presentation at The Qualitative Report 6th Annual Conference, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
Kohnke, A., Cole, M., & Bush, R. (2014, April). Incorporating UTAUT Predictors for Understanding Home Care Patient’s and Clinician’s Acceptance of Healthcare Telemedicine Equipment: The Moderating Effect of Self-Efficacy, Anxiety, and Attitude. Paper presentation at the LTU 2nd Annual Research Day, April 2014, Southfield, MI.
Kohnke, A. (2014, March). IT Disciplines, Technical Careers, and Skill Sets. Invited presenter at the ‘Girls Are IT!’ Conference at the University of Michigan.
Gonda, T. & Kohnke, A. (2012, October). An exploratory case study on creating a collaborative and efficient virtual command center among four separate organizations in the United States army. Paper presentation at the Midwest Academy of Management, Chicago, IL.
Stavros, J., Kohnke, A., & de Jong, J. (2012, April). Appreciative Leaders: The Social Construction of Generative Connections. Workshop, World Appreciative Inquiry Conference, Ghent, Belgium.
Kohnke, A. (2005, August). How Ethical Leaders Create Ethical Organizations. Professional Development Workshop, Academy of Management Annual Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Kohnke, A., DiVirgilio, M., & Heidorn, C. (2005, August). Technology Made Easy for Researchers: Tools, Tips, & Techniques. Professional Development Workshop, Academy of Management Annual Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Kohnke, A. (2004, August). Ethical Leadership and the Social Construction of Values. Paper presentation at the Academy of Management Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA.
Kohnke, A. (2004, April). Action Research and Information Technology. Paper presentation at the Midwest Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
Cox, K. & Kohnke, A. (2004, April). New Horizons for Leadership Research and Practice: Ethical and Global Sustainability. Paper presentation at the Midwest Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
Cox, K. & Kohnke, A. (2004, April). eMotionalizing Management: Results, Leadership, and IT. Paper presentation and Proceedings at the Midwest Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN.
Kohnke, A. (2004, March). Technology Management: Action Research and Information Technology. Paper presentation and Proceedings at the Annual Meeting of the Southwest Academy of Management, Orlando, FL.
Applegate, K., Braxton, M., Cox, K., Kohnke, A., Picker, M., & Saint, D. (2003, May) Business As An Agent of World Benefit. Symposium, Paper presentation at the 33rd Annual Information Exchange Conference Organization Development Institute, May 2003, Williamsburg, VA.
Kohnke, A., (2003, May). Tendercare, Inc., A Case Study Using Appreciative Inquiry. Paper presentation at the 33rd Annual Information Exchange Conference Organization Development Institute, Williamsburg, VA (Co-winner of the Jack Gibb Award for best presentation).
Kohnke, A. & Stavros, J. (2003, March). Cultivating a Positive Culture with Appreciative Inquiry. Paper presentation and Proceedings at the 45th Annual Meeting of the Southwest Academy of Management, Houston, TX.
Stavros, J., Kohnke, A., & Yegyanarayanan, S. (2014). Appreciative Leaders: The Social Construction of Generative Connections. LTU 2014 Annual Research Day.
Kohnke, A. & Bush, R. (2013). An Application of the UTAUT Model for Understanding Home Care Patients' and Clinician's Acceptance of Telemedicine Equipment. LTU 2013 Annual Research Day.
- 2015-Present, Academic Honour Council
- 2015 & 2016, ISACA Detroit Chapter Cybersecurity Scholarship Case Competition
- 2014-Present, HLC Academy for Student Persistence and Completion
- 2012-Present, Graduate Council (Chair, 2013/14)
- 2014-Present, Transition to Residential Campus Committee
- 2014-Present, CCTF Leadership Review Committee
- 2012-2014, Core Curriculum Task Force
- 2013-2014, Student Course Evaluation Task Force
- 2014, Faculty Marshall (Commencement)
- 2012-2013, LTU Alumni Board of Directors
- 2012, Homecoming Committee
- 2011-2012, Social Media Task Force
College of Management Service
- 2015-Present, Faculty Search Committee
- 2015-Present, Curriculum and Standards Committee
- 2013-2015, Assessment Committee
- 2014-Present, Delta Mu Delta, Faculty Adviser
- 2013-Present, BSIT Program Review
- 2011-2014, Faculty Council (Chair, 2013-14; Vice-Chair, 2012-13; Secretary, 2011-12)
- 2013-2014, Master Course Shell Development Committee for Online Learning
- 2014, FIRST Wednesday Series Seminar “Ace Your Interview” (Spring 2014)
- 2012-2013, Chair, Curriculum and Standards Committee
- 2012-2013, MSIS Program Review
- 2013, Out of State Scholarship Competition, BSIT Program Student
- 2011-2012, Strategic Management Planning Committee
- 2011-2012, Doctoral Governance Committee
- 2011-2013, Program Director, DMIT
- 2011-2012, DBA Coordinator
- 2011-2012, Chair, PhD in Management Task Force
- 2011-2012, Program Director, Health IT Management
- 2011-Present, Faculty Reviewer for doctoral qualifying exams: Cohort 6 DBA, M. Clancy; Cohort 7 DBA, G. Storey; Cohort 8 DMIT, C. Swaby, A. Alawdah, & K.Gai
- Advise students in BSIT and MSIT programs
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Association for Information Systems (AIS)
- Information Systems Audit and Control Association (ISACA), Academic Advocate
- Information Systems Security Association (ISSA), Motor City Chapter
- Information Security Forum (ISF)
- Michigan Council of Women in Technology (MCWT)
- MCISSE, Michigan Chapter of the Colloquium for Information Systems Security Education
- US Secret Service Electronic Crimes Task Force, Detroit
- IT in the D
- Advisory Board Member & CAE Recertification, Center for Cyber Security & Intelligence Studies at University of Detroit Mercy
- Advisory Board Member and Cybersecurity Curriculum Committee Member, Wayne County Community College
- Curriculum Review Committee for the Master of Science in Cybersecurity, Excelsior College
- Served as the webmaster and photographer for the Junior League of Detroit. The JLD was founded in 1914 and serves at risk women and children in the city of Detroit. www.jldetroit.org