Instructor Technology Requirements
All LTU Online faculty must maintain a personal technology environment consisting of at least:
- A personal computer meeting the minimum technical requirements of the software that will be used in the course being taught.
- As a general guideline faculty should not have computer specifications less than a Pentium 4 CPU, Windows 2000 or XP, and 512 MB RAM and a 40 GB Hard Disk, or MAC G-3 with 512 MB RAM and a 40 GB Hard Disk.
- Actual hardware requirements are dependent on the software titles and versions required for class. The requirements for running the software vary and are subject to change. For additional help, the LTU Help Desk can provide hardware requirements for the software in question.
- High-speed access to the Internet (cable, DSL, or other broadband service) is required for all LTU online courses. Peripherals: DVD player with the ability to play U.S. DVDs, and a USB headset and microphone.
- Browser: Courses offered with LTU online are best viewed using Microsoft Internet Explorer v6.0 or higher (or Firefox v1.5 or higher) for PCs, Safari 1.0 or higher for Macintosh. The Microsoft Office or Open Office suites of productivity tools are required for viewing course materials and interacting with students. Current plug-ins for Adobe Acrobat, Shockwave Flash, RealPlayer and QuickTime may be required for viewing course media. All portfolios, projects, and assignment submissions will need to be downloaded and viewable by all students. Additional software may be required to complete assignments using the software you would like them to use. For example, Simulation SW, high-end 3D software such as Maya, 3D Studio Max, or Softimage XSI manipulation software may be used. A compositing tool such as Adobe After Effects or QuickTime Pro, or an editing tool such as Adobe Premiere. Other equipment may be required depending upon course specifications.
- Access to LTU Blackboard and Banner systems will be provided by LTU upon being scheduled to develop courses or teach with LTU Online.