Students who participate in service-learning are likely to continue to work all their lives in many different ways to improve the world around them, with lasting benefits for our country and our planet.
– Senator Edward M. Kennedy
Service Learning and Civic Engagement
Service Learning is an important component in leadership development. Many different leadership models-including Servant Leadership and the Social Change Model for Leadership-emphasize the importance of service learning and voluntarism as necessary to leadership development. Students are encouraged to continue participating in community service and volunteer work beyond the first year that they can record on the Leadership Transcript.
How to Get Involved
- LTU Service Saturdays- Click here for the Fall 2013 Calendar and to register.
LTU Service Saturdays are volunteer events hosted by the Office of Leadership Programs once or twice a month. We partner with local organizations to help out with their needs at that time. (These events satisfy service learning requirements in your Leadership courses.)
- Leadership Seminar Series- Click here for the Fall 2013 Calendar.
The Office of Leadership Programs hosts speakers each month who discuss leadership in the professional world and how our graduates can differentiate themselves as service-minded individuals with a leadership education.
- Alternative Spring Break- Click here for more information.
Alternative Spring Break is a trip where a group of students engage in volunteer service for a week in or out of state during the university's spring break.
- Local Volunteer Opportunities- Click here for a listing.
Check out these local opportunities or contact one of the many organizations in our community.
- Follow us on Social Media- Like us on Facebook- Lawrence Tech Leadership Programs or Follow us on Twitter- LTULeadership
We post about all our events and opportunities as well as events and opportunities happenning in the community.
- Are you a member of a student organization that wants to host or partner on an upcoming project? Or a community agency that wants to collaborate? For more information, please contact us- firstname.lastname@example.org