Graphs of Trigonometric Functions and Fundamental Trigonometric Identities
Sketch the graph of y = a sin (bx + c) and y = a cos (bx + c), recognize the graph of the other four trigonometric functions. Know and manipulate expressions involving the fundamental trigonometric identities. This unit should take no more than 2 weeks to complete.
*All assignments are in Basic Technical Mathematics With Calculus 7th edition by Allyn J. Washington, 2000.
Method of Evaluation
The unit test will be a pencil and paper exam given at your class site. The test will be administered by the instructor or by a proctor. Please see the course schedule for the exact time and date of the unit test.
Be able to graph sines and cosines with different amplitudes.
- Read 10.1, pages 276-279.
- Complete Work Exercises, page 279-280 #5-13 odd, 17, 25-27 all.
- Quick Review sheet 3-1.
Be able to graph y = a sin bx and y = a cos bx and determine amplitude and period from the equation.
- Read 10.2, pages 280-282.
- Complete Work Exercises, pages 282-283 #1,5, 9-17 odd, 21,23, 29-35 odd, 41,45,49,50.
- Quick Review sheet 3-2.
Be able to find displacement and graph y = a sin (bx + c) and y = a cos (bx + c).
- Read 10.3, pages 283-286.
- Complete Work Exercises, pages 286-287 #1,3,5,9,11,13,29,30.
- Quick Review sheet 3-3.
Be able to graph y = tan x, y = cot x, y = sec x, and y = csc x.
Learn the basic trigonometric identities and be able to prove identities.
Course Outline //