How do I post an on campus student position?
- Click on the CareerQuest logo on the Career Services Website at http://www.ltu.edu/career_services/index.asp and select the ‘Employer login’ button
- At the top of the page select the ‘Jobs’ tab. In the middle of the page choose the button ‘add new’.
- Select ‘Student Employment’ for position type. Click ‘submit’ when finished.
- If you are reposting a position previously added, select the tab in the middle of the page ‘add new’. Choose the ‘show archived’. The job posting will present a drop down menu to choose the posting you wish to repost. Click ‘submit’ after necessary adjustments.
- Note: auto fill will occur, but the posting start and end date will need to be adjusted.
How do I create a CareerQuest account?
- Click on the CareerQuest logo on the Career Services Website at http://www.ltu.edu/career_services and select the ‘Employer login’ button
- Click on ‘Register and Post a Position’ if you have a job posting ready to post. If you do not have a position ready click on ‘Register’.
- Complete the employer profile. Note: Company name is ‘Lawrence Technological University Student Employment’. When finished you will be given the opportunity to post your position. After you have finished click ‘submit’.
How long does it take for my account approval?
If you are a new employer registering, your account must be reviewed before the job posting is activated. This process takes approximately 24-48 hours during regular business hours.
After I post a job, how do I collect the students' applications/resumes?
- When posting a position there are three ways to accumulate student applications/resumes
- Select ‘email’ and as students’ apply you will receive an automated message with their resume attached.
- Select ‘accumulate online’. This will save all resumes in the ‘applicants’ tab in CareerQuest. To review you must log in to CareerQuest
- Select ‘other’. An addition space will be provided for instruction to collet resumes. For Example: ‘Submit resume to the Administrative Assistant in the Dean’s Office’.
How long does the job posting stay active?
- The default posting length for a job is 30 days. If you wish to extend it log into your account and adjust the expiration date as is nears.
Can I repost the same job posting each semester or do I need to start over?
- If you are reposting a position previously added select the tab in the middle of the page ‘add new’. Select the ‘show archived’ button. The job posting will present a drop down menu to choose the posting you wish to repost. Note: auto fill will occur, but the posting start and end date will need to be adjusted.
When are RPAs required?
- Fall: a Request for Personnel Action form is required to hire or rehire student employees for the academic year only. Summer: a Request for Personnel Action form is required to hire or rehire student employees for the summer semester only.
What is the routing process for student RPAs?
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident: Hiring Department > Provost > Human Resources > Financial Aid
- International Student (incuding Canada): Hiring Department > Career Services > Provost > Human Resources
When are new hire packets required?
- A new hire packet is only required if the student has not worked for the University before or the gap in employment is 2 years or greater.
This is my first interviw with a student, what do I ask?
Inquire for the needs of your department. Ask questions such as 'Tell me about yourself', 'What degree are pursuing?' 'What hours and days are you available for work?' or 'What kind of experience do you have which may fit with this position?'
How do I find out if a student has work study and how much?
Ask the student if they are work study eligible. Work study is not required to work on campus. For verification of amount please contact Financial Aid
Is it legal to ask a student their status?
No, however you may ask 'Are you authorized to work in the United States?'. Students are nto required to share their staus information.
What paperwork is necessary to complete for hiring a student?
- Student Employment Handbook (last page)
- Student Employment Hiring Process
- Application for Employment
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Federal (Form W-4 (2013)
- State of MI (Form MI W-4)
- Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
- Payroll Direct Deposit (FA-1012)
- Non-U.S. Citizen Employee Tax Assessment (international students only)
What authorization documentation does the student need to provide?
- U.S. Citizen Documents
- Social Security Card
- Driver’s License
- Voided Check
- International Documents
- DS2019 or I-20
- Current Visa
- Current Passport
- Voided Check
- Social Security Card (authorization letters required from supervisor and International Programs)
What part(s) of the hiring forms do supervisors complete?
- Federal (Form W-4 (2013))
- Box 8: supervisor signature and date
- State of MI (Form MI W-4)Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification
- Box 9: supervisor signature and date
- Box 10: Employer name, address phone number and name of contact person
- Box 11: Federal Employer Identification Number (EIN)
- Section 2: Employer or Authorized Representative Review and Verification
- List A: I-94, Department of Homeland Security, Document Number, Expiration Date
An international student needs assistance completing forms, where should I direct them?